From this post, we tried to figure out an answer to the question,”what is art?”
The data (taken from the not-necessarily-scientific grocery store), says that art is all about self expression. A way of breaking free of a world, otherwise filled, with boring monotonous life-stuff. An dynamic escape.
There are an infinite number of ways to express yourself. Taking just one example, what are the different ways painters use to express themselves.
One of my first time walking through the Art Institute of Chicago was at the time of an Ivan Albright installation. Here are a few styles of painting you might recognize.
Check out the links:
- Abstract – Departure from reality. Came after Romanticism, Impressionism, and Expressionism.
- Cubism – avant garde. Born out of late 19th century discoveries of African, Micronesian, and Native American Art. Think Picasso.
- Expressionism – Subjects distorted, violent colors, and exaggerated lines. Think Van Gogh.
- Pointilism – lots and lots of little dots… Think Ferris Bueller at the Art Institute, then think Seurat.
- Surrealism – Born out of the Dada movement. The artists answer to rationalism. Thin Salvador Dali.